Monday 1 November 2010

"Stop " training.

Thankyou all, especially munstyman for the incredibly helpful and sound advice about training Munsterlanders. You are so right, - other gun dog owners expect a Munsty to be as easily trained as a Spaniel or Lab and really can't understand that our dogs are not at all the same. It's very frustrating, and I find myself constantly trying to make them understand that Munsterlanders are different - ( usually to no avail !!)
Going back to basics with the stop - please could you tell me how to backtrack to this stage and how to start and work through this area of training. Although Lola is pretty good at coming back to the whistle, she would totally ignore me if a deer was around, sometimes chasing jackdaws in the fields is too much of a temptation as well. She learned to chase seagulls on Cornish beaches in the summer - I was pretty annoyed that I gave her the opportunity. A good STOP would make life a lot easier. Is she too set in her ways (8mths) to retrain ?? and do they honestly give up the chase and sit ??????
I don't suppose Munstyman lives in Wiltshire and gives classes by any chance...........................?
Many many thanks.