Thursday 11 December 2008

Theft

Apparently, Oxfordshire has one of the highest rates of dog thefts in the country. Pet dogs are often stolen. Some say they are used as bait for fighting dogs on an encampment about 7-10 miles from here. In the south, and west from here in Gloucestershire, dogs are taken for hare coursing.

As others have said, we should all be aware. I leave my dogs in the car a lot because I take them out and about. The car I got rid of had a locking tailgate, but I haven't got one at the moment. However, the current cars have alarms which work with the dogs in them. I NEVER leave the dog in a car unlocked for even a second unless I'm standing next to the car changing my boots and I NEVER leave the keys anywhere; they are only ever in my pocket unless they are in the ignition because I'm driving. Having said that I cannot lock when I'm at the garage as fuel does not go in unless the car is unlocked - with it locked, the fuel flap is locked shut. But NEVER EVER leave the car unlocked (even if there are no dogs or kids in it) if/when you go into the garage to pay. NEVER.

As Elspeth said, dogs are often taken from gardens or out on walks. I know of someone who was out working his dog (not here; the dog was hunting a good 100m away and someone junped out and caught the dog with a rope lead or something. Luckily, the dog was powerful and struggled and the owner hollered and the dog got away.

I don't see how tags indicating neutering would help. I doubt if anyone looks at the tag before they steal. My vet said that he would love a country where scanners were fitted into the veterinary surgery door frames and all animals with chips would be automatically scanned when entering. However, how many people are going to walk into a vet with a stolen dog?? Perhaps a lost one, but a stolen one? Unless, of course, they are looking for a reward. I suppose that if someone stole a dog for breeding purposes and then saw the tag, they might dump the dog? One can only hope, unhurt.

Once at a local garden centre, a very irate woman approached me when I returned to my car. She told me that my dog, Wooster, was very unfriendly & nasty. I asked her what she meant. She said that he had been asleep, so she tapped on the window, so she could look at him, but he growled at her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is very difficult when we all work so hard to have dogs who are friendly to people given all the Dog Laws, but perhaps we should ensure that they only greet people on our command (it would need to be everyone, I would have thought, ie anyone who doesn't live in the same house) - does anyone, or does everyone, do this automatically?
Sue