Friday 11 June 2010

Maggie is off her medication now- I ended it early because I felt that she didn't need it any more and wasn't looking after her leg while she was on it. Today she has a slight limp only noticeable when trotting so she is still on lead only. Hopefully after the weekend she will be sound so I can let her off again. I'm finding it quite exhausting but she is much better walking to heal now.

Sorry to hear about Jed, hope they find the problem. Muscle injuries can take a long time to heal. Maggie hurt her hind leg when she was young - I've no idea how but I remember it went on for a long time, almost six months on and off, not quite being right. Stupid vet scared me saying he thought it was HD but of course it wasn't and I worried for nothing. Since then though she hasn't been lame on it again. Maggie though always seemed to be lame on one leg or other though when she was young, but she is quite the lunatic on walks. It always seems to mend eventually though and then she is fine again.

Elsa has never been lame, she seems as strong as an ox. She has collided with Maggie, trees, fences, other dogs and hedges and even fall down holes so it's not like she has just been lucky. On these occasions she will often hold her leg up and wait for me to rub it better but then she is off again like nothing has happened. She does have noticeably thicker legs than Maggie though, Frank says they are like tree trunks in comparison but I wouldn't go that far. They are strong looking though whereas Maggie s are quite fine boned - not sure if that is why. She's got a strong head too - the other day she looked round as she was running at speed under a wooden fence and whacked her head on the bottom rung - I heard the thud from some distance away. I ran over to see if she was all right but she just looked at me when I called her as if to say what now mum, and ran off in another direction - don't think she even noticed)lol