Saturday 23 October 2010

Great retrieving advice from everyone - still helpful even though Lula has been gundog for three seasons. I found I've had to keep up the training all the time, but it is great fun for both of us. Their pretty intelligent and do need constant stimulation if their to perform at their best. I guess it is a little easier if you are using them as working dogs with a specific task. But like horses out hunting the adrenaline levels rise sharply when their in the field!! Incredibly satisfying though and now gives me far more pleasure than the actual shooting.I would be interested to know whether originally the Munsterlander was trained to give notice of a find by barking. The theory being that they would hunt, let you know of a find, point, flush and, assuming you've been successful, retrieve the bird? I've also found it interesting to note that of the three that I've had each has a greater instinct in one or other of these. For example Monty was a great pointer, Lula definitely prefers to hunt and Tansy loves the retrieving element. One thing they all loved was - water!