Monday 18 October 2010

Well done Sandra and Dee Dee on getting your Bronze GC. Mazy got hers at Birmingham last year, we haven't attempted the Silver, although I did enter her in starters obedience this year and did well apart from the retrieve!!

Thank you Peter and Sandra for your advice. Mazy has no shortage of enthusiasm for marking, finding and picking up, it is the messing about on the way back that's the issue. I know it's probably my fault for not making the delivery rewarding enough, she will come back with the dummy after running by me and will sit near me on command and let me take the dummy then, but won't come straight to me. I've been praising on the way back from picking up. I know I talk to her too much and so probably confuse her as well.

I've been using a clicker indoors today and have got Mazy holding the dummy for a few seconds before I take it back, following the Trained Retrieve in the Gundog Club Grade One book. So I'm going to persevere with this method and see how we get on this week.