Sunday 24 October 2010

Hi Louden,
There was recently a discussion on the workinghpr forum on the subject of training and how long does it go on for, and there was some lively opinions on whether training ever finishes with a hpr. A great deal depends on your definition of `training' and whether you distinguish it from `experience' and how this effects the work for which you trained. What a dog experiences in the field will always have a subtle effect on what you have trained, some good and some bad, as a handler you must always be aware of these effects and be ready to encourage or dissuade the dog from what it has learnt from experience so that the function of good work is maintained.
There are varying opinions on Large munsterlanders giving tongue on game, and whether it was bred for or if it is just the dog thinking through a situation. I have listened to both sides and I tend to be a little sceptical of it being a specific trait which was bred for, as it always seem to be those with noisy/excitable dogs that make this claim, and use it as an excuse for their dogs behaviour!
However, in finding a track and or large unretrievable game such as deer or boar it is a natural canine trait to give tongue, especially in cover as it holds the pack together or draws the pack to the kill. This is not the same has hunting for live, un-wounded quarry, where silence and stealth are required, any noise or vocalisation is counter productive to the hunting process. Giving tongue whilst hunting has always been regarded as a fault not only because of this but also it indicates an unsuitable temperament ( immaturity and excitability), I would add to this in that the dog will often give tongue out of frustration at not being understood by the handler in hunting situations.
This is not to say that these dogs should never give tongue in the right situation, and often they will do it without training, and it proves just how intelligent they are. My first bitch gave tongue ( one single `light' bark) on two occasions, both Field Trials, I instinctively knew what she was communicating on both occasions, she was asking for instructions as she was unsure. The first was in the KC's own FT where she found a fresh hare track on the edge of her beat and running back, I called her off, but the yip was commented on by the judge, who said "I'm not sure I heard that, but if I hear it again you will be out. " This would not have been that bad, except that a writer for the Shooting Times was covering the event, and this was later put into print!
The second occasion was when we were called up to retrieve a runner unfound by the preceding dog. We were in a wood and the judge pointed in an area up ahead and to the right. I released the dog with a HI lost, she went straight to the point of fall and then bared left and disappeared. I trusted my dog and stayed quiet, after a while, the judge retorted that if I did not get the dog back to the area he thought the bird was in he would pull me out. Then I heard the yip, she had found the bird, but as a strong runner she wanted confirmation that it was alright to pick it ( according to the gun later that day, it was sitting tight in a thickett of brambles) I repeated the HI lost and waited, The judge started figetting for his book and pencil and commented `You can't say I didn't warn you' at which point my dog appeared from around the corner with the bird! After a consultation with the gun as to if it was the correct bird, and with the second judge I was allowed to continue, neither had heard the yip, but we were out later that day anyway as we could not fill our card.
Peter