Monday 30 June 2008

Hall Barn

Had a great day yesterday, despite getting lost in Beaconsfield - still arived on time. I haven't got my scores yet as although I stayed until the prizes were being handed out for 1st, 2nd and 3rd there was a large crowd around the score table and Maggie had just had enough hanging around and so we left before I saw them. Sue very kindly said she would email them onto me so I will let you know.

I was over the moon with Maggie though.

The first was a water retrieve. The dummy was thrown into the lake by an instructor and I had to sit Maggie off the lead and ask her to wait until being told to send her in. she went straight in retrieved the dummy, swam straight back and handed to me in my hand! She lost points though because I had to hold her back as she was a bit too keen to get in the water! The instructor said she did well and was very keen.

The second test was a seen retrieve. I had to sit her by my side off lead. A gun was shot right next to her and someone in the bushes threw out a dummy. This time I got her to stay until I was told to send her on. She did this perfectly - straight to the dummy, and retreived it to hand. Was very pleased and in my eye did it perfectly.

The third test was hunting. I had to let her off and ask her to cover an area of ground as thoroughly as I could. I let her down here because I was a bit nervous of her running off (a dog earlier disappeared for 20 mins!) So I think I didn't send her out for long enough and kept pipping the whistle. Was not sure what I was doing so let Maggie down on this test. When asked to call her back in though she came straight back.

The fourth and final test was a memory retrieve. I was dreading this as I had watched a few and the dogs were being asked to sit and stay for a long time. I had to walk off with the instructor to a point with Maggie on the lead. I then had to take her lead off and walk her to head to a further point, which she did beautifully. I then had to ask her to sit and stay while I walked on alone to another point and then turn and face her. I had to throw the dummy off to the side behind a shrub, then walk back past Maggie still sitting there up to the instructor and then ask Maggie to go and get the dummy. I lost points on this because instead of going straight to get the dummy she came back to me first, but then when I told her to go find she went straight to it and brought it back. this time she dropped the dummy at my feet but I asked her again to pick it up and give it to me which she did.

All in all I was very proud of her. When I got home she flaked out and didn't move all evening - me too!

Great video and pictures Elspeth! I have never had a dalmation cross!

Happy birthday for Thursday Karen

Ali - May go to Richmond but am probably going to Birmingham - will you be going there?