Wednesday 30 July 2008

Brodie


Brodie was born on the 12th March this year so is now 4.5 months. He’s my first dog, and so far I’m thinking not my last, so things are obviously going well most of the time!
We travelled from Scotland to Bristol to see Judith’s pups. We don’t quite know the reason we choose “3 Spot”. We both wanted a dog with lots of black, and 3 Spot was one of the whitest in the litter. But he was the one that we were both most attracted to, and we’re so glad we choose him. He was the one that had his own ideas of how to stand for his debut Web solo photo!

Now we really love Brodie’s colours. He regularly gets confused as a Dalmatian, especially by children. Then the parents correct the children and tell them he’s a spotty Spaniel! We are now, thankfully, at the stage that he’s big enough for people to think twice about what he actually is, and we’ve met a few people who have known he’s a munster.
The best words I can think of to describe Brodie are confident and friendly. Since he is my first dog, it is difficult for me to judge his personality as I’ve not much to compare him to. However when we first started our puppy parties I soon realized that he was different from the other pups; he was the one who was full of zest and wanted to meet every other dog and person that he possibly could with his tail wagging constantly. When we moved on to puppy training he was just the same. He was the character in the class and he made sure everyone knew who he was. He is regularly the center of attention, and loves when people make a fuss over him. His tail wags constantly. In fact often his complete back end is wagging too! I was stopped in the town shopping area the other week by an old lady to say Brodie was the happiest dog she’d ever seen. He’d just walked through a group of about 20 people waiting for a bus and I’m sure his wagging tail had just assaulted every one of them. My legs are constantly covered in bruises.
He hasn’t done any damage around the house and doesn’t chew at things he shouldn’t, although he loves running off with dirty washing and my hair brush. He’s a bit more destructive in the garden and enjoys chewing on plants and digging. He regularly comes in to the house with a mucky mouth and licks it off on to my clothes; so my washing load has increased significantly since he arrived.
He sleeps well – goes down about 10.30pm and gets up normally between 7.30am and 8.30am. Long may it last.
He loves walking and would never wants to show to anyone that he’s tired. His favorite walks are on the beach. He loves running through the waves and chasing the seagulls and oyster catchers. His favorite are the oyster catchers since they’re slower moving and talk back to him.
He often sits or lies in the garden watching the birds, and is always finding feathers. He often goes out into the garden alone and sits upright checking to see if everything is as it should be. It looks like he is guarding his land.

He enjoys playing with toys. His favorite is an annoying squeaky chicken that our neighbor gave him. It makes the most awful noise that Brodie just loves. You cannot hear yourself think when he is “on the chicken”. We nearly lost it in the garden last night but unfortunately Brodie’s retrieving is getting quite good and he managed to sniff it out.

When Jim starts making dinner in the evening he says Brodie knows it means I’ll be home from work soon and he immediately goes to the hall window which overlooks the driveway and sits and waits for me coming home from work. My hall window is covered in his slavers. Like my clothes, I have to clean my windows more often now too!

He’s still developing his personality (I’m told he’s starting his teenage phase – oh dear) so it will be interesting to see what he becomes over the next year. Currently he’s 21.5 inch height to the shoulders, and 21.6 kg in weight.

So like Sophie said about Ilka, Brodie is special to me since he is my first dog too. Jim has had lots of dogs in the passed but it appears Brodie is already his favorite. We’re both delighted we choose this breed, and feel lucky that Judith allowed us to have Brodie.