Monday 28 September 2009

One Day Old




Narla and Logis Magnificent Seven are one day old today. Mother and babies are all doing well, have put on weight and are a lovely contented litter.


Narla started in Labour late Saturday afternoon and the first puppy was born at just after 5am, on Sunday morning, the last one was born approx 12.45.


During the birth Narla was very attentive to her babies and although we had prepared a basket with a hot water bottle in and Vet bed, she wouldn't let us keep them in there while the next puppy was born. As fast as we put them in the basket she grabbed them back out, so rather than have her get stressed, she kept the puppies with her as she gave birth to the next.


We could tell when another puppy was going to be born as Narla nosed her puppies next to her, she put her front leg round one way and the back leg to meet it, encircling the puppies so they were safely nestled next to her when she gave birth to the next.


I have not seen this before, but she is very protective of her babies, she is happy for me to pick them up and look at them, but if I attempt to take one away she is not happy, so individual photos later, couple more from today, sorry they are not very bright.




I am still tired, but so very pleased with the new arrivals. Yesterday was very stressful, and one of the puppies was unfortunately born dead, despite our best attempts we could not get her started, and I think she had probably been dead for some time.


But at least we have seven healthy babies, but as I said to Ali this morning never ever doing it again, I remember now why I haven't had a litter for over twenty years !!


I haven't been up to answering emails just yet, but if you can bear with me, I will answer them shortly, as you can imagine the next few days are crucial and Narla and the puppies are the first priority at the moment.