Tuesday 27 May 2008

Zydo and Ceilidh

As much as I like Laughing Dog I found all of mine lost weight on it, I don't think the ration of fat to protein suits our breed, so Trish I'm afraid my first bit of advice would be to change his diet. Solo was a lean boy but he was defiantly heavier than Zydo at this age. The food that helped him body up was Skinners field and trial muesli, never been a fan of flaked foods but this one has dried meat and molasses in it, also they have 1lb of meat every day as they need it to help body up, they can't cope with high protein diets like puppy and junior but they do need a low protein and high fat diet. So I would have him on either Skinners Field and Trial Muesli or Duck and rice and add something like cooked minced beef, lamb or if you stand the smell tripe. I use Tesco's Valu mince and just cook in the microwave and mix it in with all the juices. It really will body him and put the weigh on he needs. Fish is good to get them to eat but if you are feeding it to fatten them up make sure it is in an oil.

Ceilidh sounds like she has an acid tummy maybe after a mild bug or stress related from her first big show. The yogurt I would give twice a day about 4 tablespoons first thing in the morning and then again about an hour before her tea, Fancy suffered with terrible tummy aches and she would eat charcoal tablets out of my hand, she would turn her mouth black crunching them up but it worked to get rid of the gas in her belly, I bought them from my local chemist. Also put her on Buscopan, you buy these from the chemist as well and can give her one twice a day, hour before meals, the vets can also prescribe these but it's much cheaper to buy over the counter, I am sure she is just acidy, the yogurt, buscopan and charcoal all work, if we ever ran out of charcoal she would eat coal out of the bucket when her tummy was bad. The spinach also helps as Judith mentioned.
Eating grass I am sure is a something they crave when their tummies are sore but it can become a habit.

As for Zydo and coughing it sounds like a mild case of Kennel cough, if you gently press on his throat does that make him cough? If so then it more than likely kennel cough or a virus, like a cold, Logi has had one for a week or two now, not coughing just a runny nose. Give the Adult Bennilyn for tickly coughs it works wonders, if it persists get your Vet to have a look all the way down, I know you have looked but it is hard to see as far as they can with their instruments.

Good luck everybody hope all the info helps please let me know how you all get on.

Leah seems quite bright today, definitely brighter than yesterday but her glands are now permanently swollen.