Monday 11 January 2010

I am also loving all the snow pictures and the captions are really funny.
Saw the Horizon programme and found it very interesting, but I think most dog owners already know how in tune with people dogs are. Felt sorry for the silver foxes though kept in wire pens didn't seem much of a life for them and I did wonder what they did with them all afterwards.
But very well worth watching, and that collie was so clever, even able to recognise toys from pictures.

Sue some of the Horse Products I have used on dogs, one called Tangle Ease is very good, not greasy and intended for Mane's and Tails but you spray it on to knots give it time to penetrate and then tease the knots out with your fingers, it makes it a lot easier and leaves the coat silky and shiny, also it comes in a good size spray so works out quite economical for dogs, there is another product called Mane & Tail that works equally well, you should be able to buy them from a Tack Shop or online from the Equine Pharmacy.
An old farrier gave me some good tips for preventing Mud Rash on horses legs which was to put liquid paraffin on your hands and run them down the horses legs before turning them out stops the wet from penetrating, I don't think you could use that on dogs, a it is inflammable but I know some people on here have horses as well.
An other tip he gave me was to use pure lanolin, which I think you could use on a dog to prevent the ice balls, you can buy it in a tube from the chemist, and a little bit goes a very long way, as it comes from a sheep's coat and is their to protect them, it works just as well as a barrier for other coats as well, also quite good to use on your hands as a barrier cream if you are out in the cold a lot. Hope these are useful.