Tuesday 30 June 2009

Coping in the heat

Rosie, that's so sweet Ringo getting in the shower with your son! Your poor daughter in law. I gave birth to my first son in July during a very hot summer - it was so hard trying to keep us both cool - I can't remember which was worse being pregnant in the heat or looking after a baby)lol

Elsa had a bit of a heat stroke yesterday, my fault. The paddocks were cut yesterday and so in the afternoon I let the dogs in as they hadn't been in for a while and Elsa loved it and started chasing butterflies around the field. She had only been in there 10 mins when I noticed her tail went down and I thought she had been stung. When I called her over she started to run home and by the time I got there she was laying flat out on the kitchen floor panting heavily and looking quite ill. I immediately soaked her head in water and gave her some fresh water to drink - I tried to get her up so I could hose her down in the garden but she refused to move so instead I poured water on her in the kitchen and then fanned her down. It took her half an hour to recover. There is very little shade in the paddocks and the only water is a neighbours large pond which Maggie knows about but Elsa doesn't. Maggie cooled herself down in it yesterday. I will have to be careful with Elsa today.

Sandra, I'm sure Gismo feels a lot better even if he looks odd. I used to have a cavalier and she got over heated in this weather and I used to shave her too - she did look a site but felt much better.