Monday 22 March 2010

Dodger

Poor Dodger, If I were you I would have him tested for Campylobacter and Giardia. Both can easily be picked up and are common causes for persistent diarrhoea . If you have cats come into your garden a lot then Giardia would be my guess, it is a parasite, that lives just inside the bowel, normal worming doesn't get rid of it, but it is easy to treat, a three day course of Panacur will get rid of it. IT is easy to get bogged down in looking too deep for a reason of upset tummy. It could be the diet but I would want to do the two tests first. The Duck and Rice is a hypo allergenic diet and sometimes, (although not always) a dietry allergy is often accompanied by other symptoms such as hot skin, or red sore skin and itching. From what I have seen of Dodger he has a beautiful shin coat which would say to me it is not food orientated. Please do not misunderstand me it could be dietry but I would first of all have the two tests done, very simply a stool sample into your vets and you should have the results in 24 hours. Campylobacter is a bacteria which can cause food poisoning, and carried in a lot of animals stools, so again so easy to pick up. Antibiotics are the answer there so long as they are the correct antibiotic.
I would hang on for 24 hours and see what the results show and then give me a call, if he hasn't got either of those things we can then look at his diet, there are some very good diets he can go on to but I truly would leave him as he is until the tests are done, otherwise you could be in danger of exacerbating the problem. I am around all week so just give me a call Kat. I know I mentioned Giardia to you last time he was poorly so maybe he has been tested, was he?