Monday 25 May 2009

Working test

We are back early as decided to come home when they stopped for lunch. Lydia had had enough and Elsa was pretty tired although thoroughly enjoyed her day saying hello to everyone. I managed to do three out of the four tests but didn't do very well.

The hunting test was first and when I let Maggie off she turned to face me and started yipping - so immediate points lost. She did get her nose to the ground though and did a great stop and recall to whistle when asked.

Next was the memory retrieve which I knew I would have problems with. I sent Maggie off in the direction it was but half way she stopped, looked at me and came back. I sent her off again and the instructor told me to give her some help so I walked part of the way down with her. She did eventually find it and then came back and threw it at me so not a great hand over either.

Finally the water retrieve - one which I had hoped she would do well in, but she is so keen and went in after the dummy before I had given her the command. She went straight to it though and bought it back.

After that we decided to call it a day. But it was great experience and I just need a lot more practice I think!

All three instructors for the different tests were really lovely though and very understanding and helpful. It was a beautiful setting too. I am looking forward to hearing how Jo did with Gus and Sue with Bosco.