Sunday 7 February 2010

In everyones experiences are Munsterlanders a breed that have a relapse in training and maturity at the 18 month stage. I have heard that it is common for some of the setter breeds to go a bit hay wire at this age but what about Munsters?
I only ask because over the last week Evie has become very defiant She looks at me when I call or whistle her then disappears at top speed in the other direction. She has escaped out of our field twice this week and ran around the adjoining fields only coming back when she decided she had finished not when I called her. She totally ignores me on walks so much so that for her safety and so she can not get in to any trouble with Farmers or Gamekeepers I am now having to use a tracking lead on her when we are out. She did seem to be doing well despite her incredible hunting instinct and drive but has suddenly gone a bit scent crazy. I am going to do some field training in the Spring so I am hoping this will put us both on the right track again in the meanwhile any advice will be gratefully recieved!!!!!!How do I get her to choose me over all the exciting things out there? Food does not motivate her when she is 'in the zone' as she is too fired up to eat. She loves to play ball but this does not entice her either.
This is quite new to me as my Flat Coats have never been scent driven like Evie - I guess that is the biggest difference with a HPR to other gundogs. Any help please!!!!