Tuesday 9 February 2010

Interesting what you say about Evie being scent led. Zydo is ususally pretty good on recall - 8/10 straight to my heel on either calling, whistle or hand signal unless he picks up a scent of a bitch being walked in season (which is understandable). BUT.....mmmmmmmm...... in the last 1-2 weeks it's gone right out of the window! He'll suddenly stop what he's doing, sniff the air knowledgeably, stiffen and then just tank off. Doesn't matter what I do he'll only come back in his own time. Like Evie he's not food led, nor indeed toy, etc - purely nose led!!!!! He'll be 3 in June and I was foolishly thinking we'd turned the corner -how naive I was! My flattie had other issues (?!) but he never had this incredible drive when he picked up a scent. I'm having to try and read the signals and put him back on his lead before he takes off, then allowing him off the lead but walking to heel and then off completely. Mind you, he's so fixated that even after that he'll suddely turn around and vanish following the original scent even if we've gone some way. I hope it settles down again as walks are not nearly so enjoyable and I much prefer it if he's off the lead enjoying himself.