Saturday 13 February 2010

Vets

Morning all, well I got back on only it disappear again for the day yesterday!!!

Thanks Sandra, hope you enjoyed your read and thank you to everyone who have emailed/phoned me with regards to me giving up doing the club Newsletter, I really appreciate all the lovely things you have said.

Kat as you know we have a lot of people read the blog and one of our readers echoed what I felt about how your vet dealt with Dodger's tummy upset. Before I go on about that Congratulations on your award at dog training!!


This is an email I received which makes some excellent points, none of this is of course down to you as like all of us we all go along with what the 'Experts' say


What is he thinking? there is no point in giving a pro-biotic at the same time as an oral anti biotic as they effectively cancel each other out, the pro-biotic should be given AFTER the antibiotic to restore gut flora killed off by the antibiotic.
Saying that there is a bug going around and then saying its alright for the dog ( still undergoing treatment/ infected ) to go to puppy classes is down right irresponsible.
To sell a prescription diet and then say to `bulk it out' with biscuit is nutritionally inept to put it mildly.
Feel free to publish it if you think it apt or put it across more diplomatically but I would advise that they change their vet, if they were my vets I would be making an appointment to see a senior partner!!!!
The most important thing is he is on the mend, but as for the vet suggesting his diet, I doubt that, as he has been on it for too long for it to suddenly upset him, if it was dietary he would of at least gone loose when he was first changed. I also feel the Vet should of at least tested his faeces, there are several things it could be, Giardia, Kampala Bacta (sp?) all of which he could of got at Doggy Day Care, which if he goes back to he can then be re-infected. Also surely if he has a virus antibiotics wouldn't help so saying there is a bug going around and then giving him pills, is counter productive? As I said we all go along with what our /Vet says, I trust my Vet Graham implicitly, and he knows it, and often winds me up and teases me, but the number of Vets I have tried before I found Graham is unbelievable.
I would be interested to hear from everyone else on the subject of vets, how did you find your Vet, do you trust them completely, if so what makes them so special? Also how many Vets did you try before you found The one!!!
I know with Graham if he isn't certain he will say so and then go away and find out before he throws pills at the dogs, or worse operates, he also comes to me for my opinion too, and listens to me the owner, I also am lucky enough to be allowed to be in op's if needed and he pops in if passing, especially if I have puppies he can check over and cuddle, ( at no cost to me!). Best of all he has taken the time and interest to know all my dogs names and individually, yes I do think he is an star but shouldn't we all trust our Vet like that or am I just lucky or smitten!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Vets are Graham Lunn or Gordon Mathews at Cedar Vets, New Road, Alresford. they also have the best Vet Nurse, (apart from my cousin Claire!!) Sam, not sure if to be flattered or embarrassed but they all know the sound of my voice, Sam and all of them were wonderful when we lost Tarka. So over to you what are your Vets like?
Kat we have all been there with different Vets in the past, so sympathise and the main thing is Dodger is improving.