Tuesday 29 April 2008

Naughty girl

Maggie was naughty on her walk today. I took her accross a field I have been many times before where one or two houses back onto the field. One house in particular has an open fence that backs onto the field - Maggie has on occasions chased pheasants into their back garden but has always come back when I told her. This morning though the garden had ducks in and Maggie chased them, she completely ignored me calling her and the whistle so I had to run over there whereon she appeared back through the fence. I hope she didn't do any damage to the ducks as I didn't see them but my worry is now she knows they are there she will keep going back. So I am going to have to go back to basic whistle training and stopping when I ask her to for a while I think and avoid that field for a while! Maggie has always had a very stong hunting instinct that I battled to control since she was 7 or 8 months old, but up to now its only been deer and pheasants. I love to watch her hunting and flushing out pheasants but I need her to come when I ask for her own safety - so back to the drawing board lol!