Monday 23 March 2009

Advice Please........

Yes its me again looking for advice on another matter. Evie has developed a dislike for cars and cyclists and lunges towards them whenever she sees one. She has not had much exposure to busy places and doesn't see many cars etc but when she has she literally lunges towards them on her lead. We are doing a lane walk with her now in the evening to get her used to being on a lead and seeing cars,bikes,horses etc but she is really dreadful. Once we have mastered the lead walking I will take her to strange places, around town and car parks etc but I am concerned about this habit she is developing. Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?
Evie is a true country dog but I still want her to feel confident when out of her home environment (and safe). One more point of training I am struggling with is the recall. As a young pup she was wonderful at the recall and still is in the house and garden but when in our field or out on a walk she will never come back right to me. We worked on the 'with me' command to whistle and voice which she responds to every time - by this I mean she has to change direction and be with me not come right to me. When I ask her to come to me she will head towards me but can not actually stop as she is just too busy, she is not interested in lures/treats or me on bended knee calling her excitedly. Evie has to run the whole walk.
Would appreciate any tips as I am rapidly learning that HPR's seem to need a different approach to training and I am very keen to learn so that we can work well together. My Flat Coats have never had the incredible hunt instinct that Evie has - she is very intelligent and I don't want to let her down. I think this may be one for Peter with all his experience (please).
The pups all look very happy in their new homes - lovely pics.