Tuesday 24 March 2009

Thanks Karen and Sophie for the advice - will try some of your ideas. I don't want to overload Evie as she is only 6months but I also don't want to let bad habits set in. I can remenber Murphy my Flat coat going through a crazy stage when he was about 9 months old and he would run off and ignore me but he grew out of that so I guess Evie will grow out of lunging after cars etc (hopefully). I suppose it is easy to forget that it is a big scary world out there for these little ones.
Anyway is anyone else a fan of the Dog Whisperer ( it is on the TV as I write this) - I think he has an amazing understanding of dogs and dog psychology. We had a few issues with our old flat coat Jack which was all our doing in hindsight - we treated our dogs like humans and gave him too much status as a result. I then read the Dog listener (similar principles as the dog whisperer) and realised that I had got it all wrong - I was not being an effective pack leader. We changed a few simple things which transformed his behaviour. We have now lost our wonderful boy but his legacy will stay with me forever and all the dogs that we will share our lives with - he taught us so much!