Friday 27 March 2009

Well I said we......

needed you Peter!!!!
Peter and I have known each other for years, both hailing from the same part of Devon, (may explain a lot!!!). We have spent many hours out in a field with Logi or one or other of my family. When Peter said Diva owns him, he was not exaggerating, when Pete came to see the babies, Diva sat on his lap, when we were talking she would block his view to me and facing him she talked directly to him, she also warned Summer to stay away!! I may already of told you all this, if I have ignore me, I am old and blond!! no hope for me!!
Pete's training has helped many people, but as he says each dog is individual and it's hard to read a problem without seeing the dog, so....................
if our land comes off how about a meet up in the early Summer, I will twist Peter's arm to come and train us, we can club together and book a days training for us oh and the dogs!!!
I handle my recall similar to Pete but also slightly different, I have a training field/area and a let your hair down and go for it field too. Both are thoroughly fenced and in both places the dog has to come to me when called. It's the only thing they have to do when we have our play time. I let my babies have free running now but I practise my recall at home in the house, every time I see the puppy committed to coming to me I call her and lots of praise and sometimes a treat. once they get the hang of it, I then start to call them when I want them, again once I get 100% success rate we move outside to the garden and then outside to the field, it sounds a long drawn out process, but in reality it isn't and only takes a week or so. I just feel if you keep dogs on a lead for too long, as soon as they get freedom they bog off. I also am in the habit of thundering towards said dog with a look of fury if they don't immediately bomb back to me when recalled, it tends to work for me and my lot. At the end of the day when exercising 9, I can't afford for them to bog off. I will also say Peter's training tips has helped me enormously too.
Lunging at cars - Tessa I think it is because Evie has not been exposed to enough traffic since you have had her, I take my babies to Town, as soon as they have had their jabs, we go somewhere where I can sit with one of the babies and watch traffic go by, I have a big supply of treats on me and spend time doing it, we also visit shopping centers or busy places like car boot sales so the babies are used to a sea of legs and strange people stopping to speak to them. If Evie is still lunging I wouldn't walk her along by traffic anywhere go back to basics and find a place to sit and watch, it's too dangerous having a 5 month old lunging before you know it you will both end up in the road.
With regards to Evie's recall, do you tend to take her out with you and let her run around whilst you sort out your horses? If you do I think it may be that she has learnt to go off and hunt and entertain herself, if that's the case go back to basics.
My final word on this is we are all happy to give advice and our opinions, but the best person to seek help from is your breeder, this goes out to everyone. Every breeding line in Munsterlanders is different they all have different traits and characteristics and the best person to turn to is the one who knows them best and that's the breeder. So ask away on here but if it's a major problem that you are concerned by please speak to the breeder as well. That goes to all owners not just mine!!!! Those of you who have dogs from different breeders will know exactly what I am trying to say.
I am really please that you are finding the blog useful and helpful Tessa, you are a very welcome member and please join in as often as you want, that goes to Many as well, in fact all of you, If I drop off the radar for a few days it is usually for a very good reason such as the death of my computer, it is definitely not due to indifference.
Anyway off out for a drive with Tetra and Darcy to view some land, it's really quite cold here so Andrew has insisted on starting the car so it is warm when the puppies get in!!!!!!
Hope my waffle makes sense if not don't read into it ask me!!!!! All is good here!!
Actually I have just made a very basic mistake, Andrew came home and then dissapeared to the Kitchen, Tetra then started creating at the door so I told her off thinking she just wanted to be with Andrew, two minutes later she wet herself, she was actually telling me she needed to go out and I totally misread the situation, doh what a bad owner!!!