Friday 27 March 2009

I think recall depends on where you are walking them. Maggie was off lead as soon as she could go out and never left my side until she put up her first pheasant at about 5 months old. If I walk her in a non gamey area she doesn't ever wonder far but the smell of game is what takes her away from me. It is a tender balance I think of letting them loose and holding them back. Elsa will be let off lead in our fields and places where I know there is not much scent around but come October when the shooting season starts and they release all those baby pheasants she will be kept on lead in those areas - I don't want to make the mistake I made with Maggie.

At 6am this morning I was out in the garden taking Elsa out for her morning pee and Maggie spotted an injured green finch hopping across the lawn. She pointed, like I've never seen her point before - quite beautiful. Long straight line, her tail straight out, her head low and she held it when I said leave it. I don't think I have every seen her point like that before. She also left the bird alone - so I was really happy with her.

Tessa, glad Evie is dry now.

Ali - I'll definitely be up for a BBQ and training session with Peter - love to!