Saturday 29 November 2008

Dog welfare Code of Conduct

Thank you for posting that Elle, I hadn't seen the consultation. Personally I think it's a good code of practice document, the only other acts like it that I have been aware of are the dog control act and the dangerous dogs act which don't address the general welfare of dogs and are only referred to when a problem arises. I'm sure some people decide to get a dog and think they'll learn how to look after it as they go along. If they have to be made aware of this Code of Conduct before owning a dog, hopefully the dog might get a better start in life than some do. I would think it'll help the RSPCA reinforce the work it does too. When I was a child we used to have to buy a dog licence, although I'm not sure what the purpose of that was, is this a kind of replacement for that but with some rules to go with it?