Wednesday 12 November 2008

Ilka

Well done Sophie with Ilka. She did really well not to chase those pheasants - sounds like you have trained her well. Think Maggie got too much pheasants when she was young which is why I'm having a problem now. I think with my next puppy I will be a bit more careful not to expose her to them too young Trouble is there is nowhere to take her where there isn't pheasant here. I went up to shotover country park this morning as there are fewer there but she still managed to find some and went off. Keep thinking I'm getting somewhere and then I have a day like today and I feel I'm back at square one! If your dads got any advice I'd love to hear it!!

Love to know how the pheasant retrieving goes let us know. Maggie only once actually brought a pheasant back to me - not sure if she had killed it as there were no marks on it at all, so if she did catch it she may have killed it just by running back with it as it's head was swinging. I wish now I'd picked it up when she dropped it at my feet and brought it home to practice. She didn't like the feathers in her mouth at all and kept trying to spit them out.

I went down to the farm fields this afternoon and they were just putting some sheep into the field. Instead of going else where I stood with Maggie and watched. They had a collie working with them and it was very interesting to watch. The lady said to be careful with Maggie, as Munsterlanders can be tricky when it came to sheep. I said I was suprised she knew what one was and she said she had trained a couple, one of which had killed two sheep. It now apparently is very good. I wanted to ask her a lot more but she was very busy trying to work her dog and separate the sheep. I think it did Maggie good to watch them and she was showing a lot less interest after a few minutes.