Saturday 22 November 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOMINO! Beautiful picture, I love the look on her face! The catching scent and taking off like a rocket is the hunting dog thing to do, they get sooooo excited they can't seem to help it, but it is very frustrating and scary sometimes, and Duke did it last spring after coyotes or deer, not sure which cause it was so fast and up the mountain. But he got it big trouble when he came back and he knew he was in s**t. I have to say I haven't had a problem since, they still take off but come back immediately when told to.
My father in law used to breed and had many German shorthired pointers and my husband told me once about "Prince" who was way too hyper to hunt. They found out on one trip when he took off and then came back through camp with a young elk running full speed and almost running over dad. In Canada you cannot hunt large game with a dog only birds, so it's a good thing a warden was not around or he would of thought Prince was trained to do this! This dog was retired when they returned home! Oh the joys of dogs!
Joanne