Tuesday 25 November 2008

Hello Ghillie!

Ghillie looks so cute Lindsey. I can see more flecks starting to show through from the first pic you showed us. I’m glad the others are starting to accept him more. It’s good that he’s sleeping all night too. I remember reading in a book it is their natural instinct to cry through the first night as it’s a call so that their pack knows where to find them. Fortunately for us either Brodie had either lost that natural instinct or was too tired with the days drive that he slept all night apart from one toilet break.
I’m sure when we first got Brodie he knew he shouldn’t pee in the house but sometimes he just wasn’t able to hold it in long enough. Anytime I thought he was about to squat slightly I scooped him up and ran outside with him. Many a time I’d hear Jim shouting the poor wee sole was only about to sit! If he went near the window or the living room door it was also an indication he may need to go. You do need to keep your eye on them constantly though, I remember feeling sorry for him if he had a little accident and I hadn’t being paying attention. Hopefully Ghillie will start to show some indication that he needs to go soon and you’ll just need to be fast in getting him outside :) Shame it's November and cold - we had the sunny month of May which made toilet training a little more pleasant :)


I enjoyed the photos of Ilka, especially the ones at the window. It looked like you were getting plenty of rain that day Sophie. We have 2 old cats (12 and 14). I’m surprised at how well they get on with Brodie especially due to their age, they had no previous experience of dogs and the fact that Brodie is rather excitable. He’s recently got extremely friendly with the younger cat, and the pair of them love to rub against each other and Brodie has taken to cleaning her.

Elspeth, Nice pics of Paddy and Ceilidh. I think I know the leg jumping behavior you describe. I was just talking to Jim about that behavior last night because Brodie has gotten friendly with a golden lab on one of my regular walks and the pair of them do it together. I’d never seen Brodie do it with another dog before. He gets on great with this lab but is very wary of brown or black ones. He was attacked in devilla a few weeks back by both a black and brown lab. Luckily Jim was doing some lead work with Brodie so they were side-by-side when the dogs went for him. Jim sent the dogs flying with one strong kick then when one was coming back again it’s owner did exactly the same as Jim did, then the owners put them on leads and apologized. It sounded like it was not the first time their dogs have attacked, in fact it sounded like it was fairly regular, so beware if you are in devilla of a black and brown lab together as the attack was completely unprovoked – Brodie had been walking calmly on lead beside Jim and hadn’t even looked at the other dogs. We saw the couple the following week and both their dogs were on leads.

I hope the eye is looking and seeing a bit better now Rosie. Good luck for the next op.

I’m away Christmas shopping this Sunday with my daughter. I haven’t been shopping since I got Brodie so it should be a fun day!