Thursday 20 November 2008

Keeping Control

Happy Birthday to Keisha and Beecham - sorry it's late, lovely picture of Beecham and Logi - very handsome boys. Nice to see you on here Sue - Sorry the weather was so bad in Scotland.

Sharon - contratulataions on Brodie getting the Bronze, hope Maggie does as well when she does it. She is going to be two in February and she is my first Munster, though not first dog and totally new experience! My family have owned Visla's and GSP before so it's not the first time I have experienced gun dogs but none quite as mad as a munster!

I was feeling brave this morning and decided to venture towards Holton Wood where the pheasants gather. I kept her close though not on a lead and she did run into a flock at one point but came again when I called her. I reward her with a ball not treats as she isn't interested in treats, she gets one throw and then it's back in my pocket. When I feel I'm losing control like this morning I do some close training. This morning after she came back the first time I could tell she was in that zone she gets into and beginning not to listen so I blew the stop whistle. Her bottom very slowly went to the ground and she didn't turn to face me but then gradually looked behind her to me as if to say 'WHAT NOW'. I told her to stay (very firmly) and made her wait a minute. She gradually began to focus back on me again as I could see she wasn't looking around her, at which point I walked towards her and then rewarded her with the ball. After that I thought I shouldn't push it any more and headed home. I find it such hard work keeping her attention at the moment - it's a constant battle and if I relax for a minute she is gone and I've lost. Does anyone else have this difficulty?