Thursday 20 November 2008

Lovely photos and congratulations on Brodie getting the Bronze.

Karen, you know I have trouble with Domino at the moment keeping control of her. This morning we went out with friends, a Cockerpoo and a Flat Coat/Labrador and I am very careful at the moment to notice when Domino is losing awareness of where I am. In the first field we go into, she's OK, nose to the ground all the time, but doesn't stray too far. When we get to the end of the field, she picks up some very strong scent and she starts getting very excited and I can sense her about to run off. So at the moment I call her back and keep her on the lead, I find she comes back fine as long as I catch her before she goes off on one. I've seen several deer in the last couple of weeks, so I know there are wandering these fields and I think the wet ground makes the scent stronger. I haven't even tried training to the whistle yet, I'm just trying to get a bit more control at home.

Though in the house, Domino won't let me out of her sight at the moment, not sure why. Also at the social group, she rarely strays more than a few yards from me and the field isn't particulary well fenced, so she could easily nip off if she wanted. I hope to join the training class in January (it's full at the moment) which is also held outside. Mind you, Domino is 8 years old on Saturday, so I don't expect miracles, but good practice for when the new dog comes along.